D.I. 3/11/10: Endurance

Daily Devotions by Cindy

D.I. 3/11/10: Endurance

Postby cindy10 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:45 am

Endurance: The ability to exert oneself for a long time (Wikipedia).

I've never had much endurance in my life, especially for physical tasks. I was always the last one to finish running around the track at school and while I tend to do well in many areas, it is not unlike me to finish last. In fact, endurance is not at all a common quality in Americans today. Many people don't just fail to finish the race, but they lack the long term caring that is vital to sticking with a task to the end, sometimes against all odds.

But the prophet Jeremiah was a man who endured. Jeremiah had to depend on God's love as he developed endurance. Society was deteriorating, wars and captivity dominated the world scene, and God's World was seen as offensive. Often people faced with new challenges struggle because they lack self-confidence, feeling that they don't have enough training, ability, or experience. Jeremiah felt this way--too young and inexperienced to be a spokesman for God, but God promised to be with him. Interestingly, the Bible says that God promised to be with with Jeremiah, He did not keep trouble from coming. He didn't keep the storms at bay, but He rescued him from the storms. There were even many attempts on his life, but Jeremiah hung in there.

We cannot let feelings of inadequacy keep us from doing that which God has called us to do. God appointed Jeremiah to bring His Word to "nations and kingdoms" (1:10) of God's judgment on sin. This wouldn't make Jeremiah the most popular guy, but he carried out God's message and persevered during the tough times.

So, what about us today? Well, don't forget that in the Old Testament, while God was consistently working through the people of Judah and Israel, his plan was to be communicated to every nation and person. And guess what? We are included in Jeremiah's message of both judgments and hope, and as believers we are to share God's desire to reach the whole world for Him.

What is God asking you to do today that you just don't have the endurance to hang in there for? My list has about 50 things on it, and many (ok, most) mornings, if I looked at my list first, I would never get out of bed because I don't know where to begin. The Bible says, "For I know the plans I have for you...plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future. THEN (we usually stop there, right?!) you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you...(Jeremiah 29:12-14).

What an awesome promise from a loving God. And to receive this promise, we need to face our monster lists for the day, and endure.

"Give thanks to the Lord for He is good. His love endures forever." (Psalms 136:1).
Last edited by cindy10 on Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

cindy10
Site Admin

Re: D.I. 3/11/10: Endurance

Postby DeVonne on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:52 am

Great word for the day. Endurance, more specifically, ENDURING PATIENTLY, is something that I am reminded of daily. Sometimes I fail miserably because things just are not happening as quickly as I want them to.
Thanks for the reminder to just keep walking through, trusting that God has everything well under control.
This is a day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad!
DeVonne
Site Admin

Re: D.I. 3/11/10: Endurance

Postby toccara on Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Endurance is something that I need everyday! God promises that those who endures til the end with live forever! I also realize that endure is a word that is meant to be hard, painful, sacrficial at times. Endure means to stay sill during times of hardship. I also fall short of this at times but it is so great to know that God never fails, his love never fails!

Thanks Cindy
In God I trust I will not be afraid; what can man do to me?
psalm 56:11

Lifeofascrappertoccara.blogspot.com
toccara
Design Team

Return to Daily Inspiration