Graham Cracker Gingerbread House

Do you like to craft with your children? Share your creations here and tell us how you made them!

Postby marlenef on Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:10 am

Last year me and my little son Maxwell got one of those Gingerbread house kits to put together. Let me just tell you all it was a disaster, the whole house fell apart :(

This year me and Maxwell are going to try making some graham cracker gingerbread houses. Here's some instructions I have found at pbskids.org:

Here's what you will need to make it:

10 whole graham crackers (8 for the house, 2 for the roof)

can of white frosting

1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar

candy to decorate your house like gumdrops, chocolate kisses, red licorice, and hard candies

large plate or tray

spoon

butter knife

small plastic bag

scissors

Here's what you have to do:

1. Start by preparing your frosting. Add 1/4 teaspoon of cream of tartar to about 1 cup of frosting. You can use homemade frosting or store-bought. Cream of tartar helps the frosting harden so your house can stand up.

2. Put your frosting mixture in a plastic bag and cut a hole in the corner, so you can squeeze the frosting out of it.

3. Using the frosting as 'glue', glue four double graham crackers in the shape of a rectangle on a tray or plate.

4. Then, glue two half-sized crackers to the sides to make a complete box.

5. You can prop the walls of the house up against something so the house dries straight.

6. Now put frosting on the corners of two more graham crackers. Place the crackers on either side to make a peak.

7. This is the roof of the house.

8. Let your house dry for an hour.

9. Once the structure is dry, coat each side with frosting and use candy to decorate your house! Use your imagination!

10 Be sure to decorate one side at a time so the frosting doesn't get hard before you can stick candy to it
Marlene :lol:
marlenef
Design Team

Re: Graham Cracker Gingerbread House

Postby DeVonne on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:38 pm

Fun! I have never been brave enough to try and make a gingerbread house but this seems simple enough :) I bet my Jazzy would love it.
This is a day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad!
DeVonne
Site Admin

Postby marlenef on Mon Dec 21, 2009 10:08 am

Hi everyone,

Me and Max finally got to make the Graham Cracker House!!! We didn't really follow the instructions above. What we did is stack each later of graham with frosting in between.

For the roof we broke off pieces of the graham to make tiles and stacked them up into a roof shape. Then we covered the roof with icing and marshmellows. Everything dried really hard and Max had a great time making it.

TFL :)
marlenef
Design Team

Postby DeVonne on Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:39 pm

CUTE! It looks Yummy! Who wouldn't love making one?
This is a day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad!
DeVonne
Site Admin

Postby toccara on Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:14 pm

That looks awesome! have not attempted to make one yet...I think it would fall down as soon as we got the last of it finished! don't know why I think that but maybe I saw it happen before and thought that that was a lot of hard work going down the drain when it fell to pieces. LOL I am just being nutty as a fruit cake today!lol God bless you all!
In God I trust I will not be afraid; what can man do to me?
psalm 56:11

Lifeofascrappertoccara.blogspot.com
toccara
Design Team

Postby marlenef on Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Thanks girls, the good thing about this one is it's all stacked on top of each other so it can't fall. Not like the regular gingerbread walls where you have to glue them together to stand.
marlenef
Design Team

Return to Jesus Loves the Little Children